Monday 9 July 2007

Negotiations

I have negotiated half my life for the other half.
I’ve negotiated graces, big and small
I’ve negotiated spaces on dirt roads between two cars,
between a lazy cow and death.

I have negotiated passages into countries yet to come into existence
and I have negotiated checkpoint Charlies yet to grow a beard.

I have negotiated imperfect grammar for perfect understanding
and I have negotiated languages in seven tongues.
Yet, I have not negotiated a tongue, or a lip.

I have negotiated curfews and freedoms
Values and ideas and ideals.
And I have negotiated wooden souvenirs.

Non-negotiable, yet unconditional.
Non-negotiable, he said.
I have not negotiated love.

4 comments:

FKJ said...

how profound.


i couldn't negotiate my way out of a paper bag never mind any of the above and aformentioned.

albeo said...

I once negotiated a later curfew with my mum

Lady V said...

You're breaking my heart, woman.....

forget negotiations. Dress up like Poland and let them invade you!

Decline of Civilisation said...

Totty, you couldn't negotiate your way out of the paper bag since the bag was locked in a car, in a parking lot.
yes, Poland: 'Bienvenue, Wilkommen, Herein!!!' (please watch Blazing Saddles for the reminder...)